Monday, March 26, 2012

Egyptian Railways, Cairo Station

We ride the Metro train from Maadi into Cairo regularly, but I had my first ride along the Egyptian Railways from Cairo to Alexandria last week as I traveled for the Egypt Church of God's annual General Assembly meetings.

I was told to get a "first class" ticket--having never had the opportunity to fly first class, I jumped at this opportunity, especially since the fare was less than 20 bucks roundtrip!  The train was not as nice as the first class cabins on an airliner, but it did have multiple beverage and food cart opportunities and comfortable seats that were wider than in the other coaches.  Overall, you really do get what you pay for :(

Traveling by train, at least here in Egypt, is not subject to any TSA scrutiny--in fact, there's nothing standing between you and getting on the train.  Well, that's not entirely true--this is my first encounter with a place that had no English on signs (with one exception, the "WC" over the restroom entrance).  The security guard could tell me where to go buy a ticket in English, but no one at the ticket counter spoke any English--in fact, I wasn't sure I was even in the right place when I bought the tickets in advance.  Fortunately, Egyptians are kind and love to help foreigners, so other patrons waiting in the area came up and helped to translate my itinerary.

When I arrived on the morning of my departure, I was able to decipher enough Arabic on the departures board to find my train based upon the train number.  My ticket said "Coach 1," but there were no markings or coach numbers on the train cars.  So, since I was "first class", I proceed to the first coach behind the engine.  There was no one to greet me at the train entrance, so I simply boarded--no attendants or stewards, just passengers.  I asked a passenger if I was in the right place--he looked at my ticket and pointed me towards the other end of the train; apparently, the first coach is the first coach you come to.  So, back down to the other end of the train.  But there was not anyone to greet me there either; as I boarded I wasn't sure because I expected more from "first class" besides the wider seats.  I found my seat number and tried to look for other clues that I was on the right train.  Others came on and got off right until the train started to pull away from the station.  That's when I nervously asked a nearby passenger to check my ticket--he said yes.  So, I waited.

It wasn't until 10 minutes into the ride that the conductor came to validate my ticket.  That's the only railway personnel or security I saw from arrival to 10 minutes into the ride!  When I boarded for the return ride in Alexandria, family members of fellow passengers came on board to help her get settled and just hang out before saying goodbye.  I have heard that this actually used to be common in air travel many years ago, but I had never experienced anything so lacking of security or official presence.

But the real story here is not the train, nor the anti-TSA environment, but the beauty of the train station in Cairo.  They should put some antiquities in this place and charge admission.  I attempted to take some pictures, but they really don't do the new station justice.

Here are some of the pics; and I will be posting more pics and video of my time with the Egypt General Assembly in the next few days.




1 comment:

  1. Travelling by train in America isn't subject to any TSA scrutiny either unless you use Amtrak. None of the commuter railroads require you to produce ID to buy tickets or board trains, whilst still serving a lot of the same stations, at least in the northeast.

    ReplyDelete