Saturday, October 12, 2013

To and From Beirut

I flew back to Beirut last weekend, and now I am moments from boarding a plane back to Cairo.  I was just here a few weeks ago, so what was I doing back.

This brief trip represents a win-win-win situation.

During my last trip, I joined the Heart for Lebanon team in their annual staff retreat and participated in their efforts to develop a strategic plan.  This, as any organization will tell you, is a massive undertaking that requires a lot of collaboration and a lot of time just to come up with a rough plan.  Then, additional hours also have to be undertaken to comb through notes, clarifying statements, and preparing a finished product.  This work has begun through the efforts of senior leadership and one of the Lebanese Executive Board who directed the efforts on the retreat.  H4L asked me to come back and contribute over a few days to help prepare a finished product that could be shared with Lebanon and US Board of Directors for approval.  This invitation to come work with them for a couple of days was one "win" as it benefits an organization with whom we partner and see great Kingdom work.

When H4L asked if I would be willing to come back so quickly for this intensive project, I shared that I would need to be given equal opportunity to work with churches and leaders because that's a major component to our involvement in Lebanon.  H4L agreed to give me that opportunity--a second "win."  So I began the trip with Shukri and Kathia who help to direct the Ana Terzo ministry with a team of great young adults.  It was hoped that we could begin a regular training with these leaders for their own development and growth, as well as to encourage them in the development and growth of this vibrant, young adult ministry.  I was also to have several fellowship opportunities with a few leaders on an informal basis; one of these was Isa.  Isa is a great young leader who not only contributes to the Ana Terzo ministry and Youth for Christ, but he also plans and directs the Lebanese Church of God teen camp.  The teen camp saw 30 participants and Isa has a realistic estimate that the camp will grow to 50 next year.  Isa demonstrated tremendous leadership skill in selecting a team, creatively planning with that teen, creating a web-registration page, and leading a quality program.  Isa is one of four talented siblings who are Church of God PK's (pastor's kids) involved in ministries in Lebanon.  It was a joy to spend time encouraging Isa this week.

I will also spoke to the Ana Terzo weekly meeting on Saturday evening, which was followed by a fellowship meal with them, too.  The group included several that I knew from the camps, as well as friends they brought to meet me, including two Americans--a young woman from Texas who actually teaches English in Kuwait but who was visiting Beirut to use her "vacation" to serve in the literacy program with H4L; and another young woman who is involved in post-graduate studies in Beirut.   The conversations with all of these young adults is always deep and beneficial for all.

In addition to the Ana Terzo group, I was invited to preach again at the Sioufi Church of God on Sunday morning as their Pastor Bassem was away this weekend for seminary.  I spoke to the congregation about Pastor Appreciation, which is a theme embraced by many North American churches in the month of October, but which is not consistently practiced here.  I was so happy that it was received well by the congregation and I hope that it will lead to some practical encouragement and support for Pastor Bassem's family and their ministry.

By Sunday evening, I was be at the disposal of Heart for Lebanon, working diligently alongside some passionate and gifted Kingdom servants.  H4L paid for the airfare that brought me back for this special assignment--which is the third "win" because it alleviates cost upon our ministry budget which is largely supported by North American churches. 

During my time with H4L, I was able to share with and encourage their staff, which is an opportunity that I deeply enjoy.

So, now as I prepare to return to Cairo, we have a newly completed strategic plan for H4L, a church encouraged to strategically appreciate their pastor, and some young adults equipped to further their ministry plan.  

Now its is time to focus on the family a bit, but also to get back to the weekly CCF Kids ministry and CCF Sunday night worship.  I'll also start preparing for an upcoming Skype message to Alabama area young adults as they gather for a Night of Worship in Birmingham on November 2.  

There's a lot of good things happening -- thanks for your continued interest, support and prayers that help make it all possible!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment