Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pics & Thoughts from Keli's Beirut Trip


It is so hard for me to put into words the experience I had on my trip to Lebanon.  It was an amazing experience as I gained many new friends and learned about some excellent ministries in which the Church of God is involved.

On this trip I stayed with the Melki family (Bassem, Roula, Samantha and Brandon).  Even though this was a "work trip" they made it feel more like a vacation.  They have a warm and relaxing home and they made me feel part of the family.  They treated me to many wonderful foods, sites and lots of great conversation.  We roasted chestnuts over the fire, visited the mountains and had snowball fights, and witnessed many weather events together that I have not seen in a very long time (rain, lightning, hail, sleet, snow and even a tornado!)

Roula works for Heart for Lebanon and I was able to experience many of the regular ministry activities that they would do in a week.  I helped to sort clothes for their clothes distribution room, I went to visit Iraqi refugees who receive assistance from H4L, I attended a Bible study with Iraqi women, and participated in one of the food distribution days where they also had a medical clinic available.  It was so good to see that the help being giving is not just for physical needs, but they also meet the emotional needs of the family.  There was so much love, respect and encouragement given to each person and I believe that was perhaps the most important part of their ministry.  I worked alongside several of their many staff members and each one is passionate and gifted in their respective ministries.  H4L also has locations in Bekaa Valley and southern Lebanon where they assist many Syrian refugees with food, clothes and education.  In Beirut they largely work with Iraqi refugees and train churches to reach out to the Syrian refugees.   This is just a small glimpse of all that they do!




I also visited Cedar Home Orphanage (Church of God gift giving ID #42.40355).  I met with Karim and Rita (the new directors of Cedar Home), Amal (Director of Care) and also Chadi and Joyce Melki (the last directors of Cedar Home for 19+ years).  I was able to get a very good picture of the history, present and future of Cedar Home and I am very excited about this ministry.  Cedar Home houses at-risk girls (currently ages 5-15) and provides them with a Christian home atmosphere and also a wonderful education.  Though they did recently have a 9 day old boy literally left in a basket on their doorstep, usually the children they serve are not orphans but come from split homes or abusive homes.  Amal, as the Director of Care, oversees the everyday life and activities for the girls - but she also has started to reach out and minister to the families of the girls this past year.  Currently Cedar Home houses 15 girls.  They have a very nice building with room for expansion!  Once they are able to complete construction they will have a total of 6 apartments and can house up to 50 girls.  The potential for growth and ministry is huge - especially since they are already doing such an excellent job.
 


As you can see, Beirut is a lovely place with even lovelier people.  Pray for H4L as they seek to serve the refugees all around them and as they start a new youth ministry called T-360 (Transformation 360).  Pray for Cedar Home as they have been transitioning in their new directors and seek to finish the building to give more girls a home.  





2 comments:

  1. You were a blessing for us and also a good worker :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful to God for the joy and privileges of knowing you.

    ReplyDelete