Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day


We often forget about our US holidays while we’re living internationally.  Trying to remember all the holidays here can be challenging in itself, and then there are similar holidays (like Mother’s Day) that fall on different dates, and so we often just forget.

But I try not to forget Memorial Day.  It’s always been more than picnics and the Indy 500 for me, even while growing up in Nowhere, Indiana.  

I remember Memorial Day in an effort to remember those, who served in defense of freedoms, particularly in times of war.  Those brave and willing souls who left family, homes, and dreams behind but did not have the opportunity to return.  

Regardless of the war, or the reasons/events that led to the conflict, to serve in the military ought to be a respected form of service.  I’m very proud and thankful for men like my grandfather and father, and many others that I’ve been privileged to meet through my lifetime.  I try to make a point to tell such individuals “thank you”--that is more than lip service; I sincerely am thankful.  I am mindful of the fact that because of what they did, I may never have to stand as they did, to charge a fortified beach, to jump from an airplane behind enemy lines, to face the chaos of a battleship under fire, to become a POW, to watch the men beside me fall victim to a sniper’s shot, or countless other difficulties faced by soldiers in times of war.

But on Memorial Day, I cannot say “thank you” to those who gave their lives.  But I can take a moment to pause and reflect on their sacrifice--and we should.

And, whenever you are able, I encourage you to take time to say “thank you” to those who did come home; though they may not have paid the ultimate sacrifice, they surely had friends who did, and they themselves will likely carry physical and/or emotional scars of battle.  

However you are spending your Memorial Day, I hope you will take a moment to remember and count the blessings that you get to enjoy.



In Memory of Rev. Edward Lincoln Oldham, WWII A-20 bomber pilot Pacific theatre. (“Pappa” did not die in combat, but returned with many years of service as a state trooper, pastor, father, and friend to all who knew him.)

In Honor of Rev. William Edward Oldham, retired Air Force, Vietnam - continuing to live faithfully and lovingly as a father, grandfather, and friend.


Vietnam Reflections

Lee Teter’s “Vietnam Reflections” is the authentically detailed, almost photographic-quality, result of his impeccable research and passion for history. His tragic portrayal of deceased soldiers reaching out of the Vietnam Memorial to comfort a grief-stricken man is his attempt to gain perspective on the death of loved ones, and one of his first oil paintings. Proceeds from its sales, which have amounted to millions of dollars, go entirely to veterans’ groups.

1 comment:

  1. Amen I totally agree. For my Dad a 2 Brothers that served I thank them for their service. - Raymond

    ReplyDelete