Friday, August 10, 2012

Happy Birthday Dad!

Today's my dad's birthday, and since he's an avid reader of our blog, I thought that we would send him greetings here before we call him later in our day.

I could tell you amazing stories about my dad--how he met my mom (as miraculous and crazy a story as you will ever hear), how he was always starting businesses, how he was a computer "geek" in the "prehistoric" days of computing with whirring machines the size of refrigerators and punch cards, how we farmed in the middle of "nowhere Indiana", how he experienced a renewal of faith and call later in life, and how he started our movement's mission work in Belize--each of those stories would lead to dozens of other stories that are equally shaping in my life.

I would like to point you instead to a great presentation by the world's most famous ex-conman, who at one time was the most hunted and infamous conman, Frank Abagnale, Jr.  You may know him from the character played by Leonardo Dicaprio in the movie "Catch Me If You Can," based on the biographical book of Abagnale's exploits (which was, oddly enough, also a 2011 Tony-nominated Broadway musical!).

The video embedded here is part 2, and you can find part 1 by clicking this link -- the videos are from a single presentation that predate the movie (glimpses of the crowds reveal that).  At about 12:30 of part 2, Abagnale turns from storyteller to confessor, giving a brief introduction of his family now, before a glimpse of his heartache as a 16-year old boy who ran away during the surprise custody hearing between his parents and entered into a life of crime -- through the confession he shares poignant and fond memories of a father who loved him, and his emotional plea for fathers to be faithful to their wives, to be "daddy's" to their children, and to be the men society needs...


I share this clip with you on my father's birthday in honor of my father; I do not doubt that I had a father who loved me and loves me still.  I remember help with school projects, a pony on Christmas, devotions at the breakfast table, a fort built to resemble a spaceship, and the sunsetting while working on catching fly-balls.  I remember sharing my dad as a coach and as a camp counselor, and the best haunted-house builder for the annual fall festival.

I also remember being a typical, ungrateful junior high kid who was embarrassed at his parents rather than proud and aware of every sacrifice they made for our benefit.   Fortunately, that would change as it does with age for all of us.

I remember their pride and their tears at important moments: when I went to his alma matter to pursue ministry, at my marriage, at our graduation, and the stages of pursuit of the calling on our lives.

I know that many awkward silences on phone or Skype these days are an unspoken, "I love you" or "I'm proud of you."

I know how blessed we are to have both sets of our parents alive and well, though the years are continuing to wear on them--they are not as they once were, and because of their efforts, neither are we. They each continue to grow in our hearts.  We love our parents, and today, we say, "Happy Birthday Dad!  We love you, and we know you love us."

If you know my dad, do me a favor and send him an email or give him a phone call from us--tell him he's loved.  If any of you are nearby this week, give him a hug for us, too.  In fact, if you're near any of our parents, give them a hug and a big "I love you," from us--they're all special people.


No comments:

Post a Comment