Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Our Baby's In High School!?!?!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I'm not freaking out as bad as when she turned into a teenager--years of parenting a sassy, independent daughter were not enough to prepare me for that; when Grace turned 13, I could see the inevitable domino progression from teen to HS to college to (gulp) marriage?!!? :0

It happens faster than we can realize, but my how things have changed since we walked her to and from her first day of kindergarten.  We're extremely proud of our daughter--she's smart, goofy, driven (maybe too much so), and talented.

But high school; ugh, I remember high school (all 4 of my high schools) and I don't know anyone who would like to repeat it.  I would repeat middle school because I lacked confidence then and harbored a lot of internal hurt that prevented me from attempting more at that age--but high school, with its challenges & hormones facing off in the midst of perceived and actual family, education, internal and social struggles and pressures--not sure any of us could do it more than once.

And then, once you are through in what seems like a flash, you are not quite the person of wisdom we like to think we are in our latter years, but we have inevitably set the foundation of who we will be.  There's still time for that foundation to be altered, but the work of change is harder after these formative years.

As I did yesterday reminiscing about 6th grade, let me reminisce about 9th grade and then outline the differences Grace will have.

I attended 9th grade beginning in the fall of 1987 (the Simpsons first aired in 87, gas was 0.89/gallon, along with the release of U2's Joshua Tree album).

That first H.S. was Sheridan High School in Sheridan, Indiana--no stop lights, (one flashing four-way at the main state highway intersection where the city park and Dairy Queen met--this intersection was also one end of the popular cruising strip).

I fell in love in Sheridan--with football--though I had played with friends and watched occasionally, I became a fanatic as the HS team was rich with talent and went on to win the state championship that fall in the Hoosier Dome, in Indianapolis.  This led to a deep sense of school spirit that I not previously or since experienced.

Small town and football games meant dances after the home games--and I think I went to each one--of course, being Indiana, the basketball games led to dances, too.  I struck out infamously at dances in junior high (a favorite story among the young adults I've taught), but had better luck in 9th grade--and this led to a bit of puppy love but much greater in the broken heart department--stories for another time.

I did not grow up in this community, but moved there just before the start of school.  I met many quickly due to a previous acquaintance with a guy named John who was friends with just about everyone in the small school.  John saw me registering for classes the day before the start of the school year; he quickly introduced me to the cross country coach, got me to try out and play basketball, and that all led to the track team.  My high school athletic career started and got a quick stop as i tore muscles in my knee during track; a summer in physical therapy, and another move defeated my drive to try out again.

In the 9th grade you have just enough freedom and not enough smarts to get yourself into more trouble than you know how to get out of--fortunately, I didn't get into anything too bad (having done worse prior to this), but I watched others begin making some pretty detrimental mistakes.

School wasn't that difficult in the 9th grade, though I remember it to require more effort than previous years--this surprised me, but my focus on social things kept me from applying myself as well as I should have.  Again, no calculators and no computers from what I can remember; I do remember a bit of world history that year and learning about Egyptian President Anwar el Sadat and his assassination--ironic now that we're in Cairo and pass through the Sadat station regularly.  The teachers were nice, but not overly memorable--of course, again, I was more focused on the social than the educational; and yet, I'm not in touch with anyone from that school or that time of my life.

As for Grace...
She's going to have access to a world-class education at CAC with great teachers.  I met a few of them this morning as I volunteered for the PTO's welcome back brunch.  Grace is driven and a bit of perfectionist when it comes to work and projects; she can get a little distracted when it comes to paying attention to instructions, but we make a point to help our kids understand their assignments as they're working on them at night.

students cross the quad and gather in front
of the CAC HS building before the start of the
2012-2013 school year
Like Titus, she has a 4 class per day schedule, for a total of 7 classes and 1 "advisory" period -- each class is separated by the 20 minute break or 40 minute lunch.  The classes rotate so that there is a variety of time frames for the class -- meaning that first class after lunch is not always the same and ruined by your desire to doze :).  High School can also practice an open campus for lunch and walk out to nearby restaurants--most take advantage of this when their advisory period is before or after lunch.  The advisory period allows for interaction with teachers, research in the library, talk to a counselor about college opportunities/placement exams, or a variety of other activities related to school--or, simply taking a break to catch up on homework.  I wish I would have had such a schedule!

She's going to have the same benefit as I had in Sheridan with a "buddy" who the counseling department assigned before the summer.  This "buddy" has been corresponding with Grace through the summer and and invited Grace to get there early today so she could meet several others before classes began.  She also has the benefit of the new family events we hosted this summer--she's met dozens of HS students already and had great interaction with them.

She's not opposed to trying out for athletics, but she's more likely to focus on band with her saxophone,  and hopefully make it into jazz band again.  This additional outlet will be good for her development.

The intercultural and language exposure that she will receive is huge--she's friends with students from Lebanon, England, Holland, America, and a few dozen other countries--most of whom speak 2nd or 3rd languages themselves.  This type of exposure and interaction will broaden her horizons, respect, and appreciation for the world in a way that cannot be underestimated as she prepares for whatever God has in store for her future.

There seems to be a bit of good school spirit and community here, and though she loved and immersed herself into her previous community, we think she will begin to do so here and all the more.  There are plenty of activities and there are people who are experienced in 3rd cultures that will help her develop a greater confidence in moving around the city and enjoying life here in Cairo.

CAC holds their graduations
at the pyramids!
But, even with all these advantages, it is still high school--and she's still our baby girl.  We pray for her adjustment, her perception of opportunities, her willingness to risk and grow, and her wisdom in the face of questionable circumstances.  We pray for good friendships--ones that will be close for a lifetime--and for her to be the friend and influence that others need in their lives, too.

We're proud of her now--we can only imagine how proud we will be in 4 years.



No comments:

Post a Comment