Monday, March 4, 2013

Travel Playlist, 14of16

What an awesome day yesterday (Sunday, March 3)! I was blessed in so many unexpected ways. It was a long day that was planned to include several aspects of interaction with the Salem Church of God near Dayton, Ohio. It began with introductions during both worship services, which were comically scripted by Global outreach pastor Nabil Safi. (Nabil is Lebanese and we interacted last summer through the Ana Terzo Camp and H4L Staff retreat); he began by greeting the congregation and introducing me in Arabic, and then I arrived on stage and we exchanged a brief set of Arabic pleasantries before he transitioned the conversation to English. It was a great intro set to a representative of a family the Salem Church has been supporting for over a year. I then had the opportunity to interact with the adult Sunday school groups through a brief presentation and Q&A session. Joining us in the presentation was my Uncle Richard (my father's youngest brother) who lives near by. I was hoping to connect with them over the next couple days, and he was able to get to me ahead of my plans. It was great to see him and to spend the Sunday morning with him. Also, my childhood pastor and his wife, Dave and Jan Cox, have retired in the area and now attend the Salem Church--it was great to see them and to interact with them after many years. Jan directed the formative Children's ministry at my childhood church that had such an impact on my spiritual formation--wow, the reunions and thanksgiving just continued on a day I least expected it!

I came back to the hotel and interacted briefly with my wife (to whom I can't wait to get home), and then I took a Skype video call from North Modesto Church of God (California). Pastor Brian Smith led some Q&A, and then allowed the congregation to ask their own questions--interesting questions make for interesting presentations! We are so blessed by their partnership and thankful for the technology to interact with them during their Faith Promise Missions Banquet. They have supported us in the last year, are planning to increase their support, and are looking to help us get some young Egyptian leaders to the Ana Terzo camp in Lebanon this August! Wow--just a blessing all around.

Then it was time to get ready quickly to return to Salem for the Youth's Sunday night "Epic" Service. I love sharing with teens and young adults and I was so thankful for this opportunity to encourage these teens to pursue "living in the movement instead of living in the moment" -- the message was well-received by youth and leaders. I was really impressed with the commitment level of the adults who served these teens in a variety of ways each week--Salem is without a current youth pastor, and their ministries continue to the next generation because of the sacrificial and dedicated service of loving adults, many of whom do not have children in the group.

So now, it's Monday, the day before I fly home, but there's still much to do today:
1) I'll begin with breakfast with Pastor Bob Moss -- again, I'm so excited to finally meet and have the opportunity to interact with him more personally. As he said, we have so many points of connection in our circles of friends, mentors, and ministries--it's amazing we haven't had this opportunity before now.

2) I'll travel down to Cincinnati to meet with Pastor Tom Planck of the Journey Church. I was a freshman when Tom was a senior at Anderson University; we shared at least one class together, and we had some shared experiences. We've only seen each other once (that I remember) since those days. Tom has been able to plant a church after a lot of effort, prayers and tears that (from what I read) is representative of the dream he had in college. It will be really cool to see this church, but also to interact with him again. Patrick Nachtigall has invited Tom to speak into the 3W region by sharing in a 2015 Budapest Lecture series--it's great that we will have this opportunity to reconnect and share about what God is doing in our region and how he can contribute to inspiring others.

3) I will have the opportunity for one last family dinner on this trip as I will go to my Uncle and Aunt's home--so glad that we've had this opportunity to see each other again. I know my uncle is among the many who regularly pray for us, and we know that we would not be able to do what we do with such regular prayers for our strength, safety, and wisdom.

So, what songs will play through my mind or on the radio on a day like this? I'm so overwhelmed by the good family and friends I've been able to see again, and the new friends I've met along the way--such feeling has filled me with such gratitude not only for each of them, but for the God of my life who has loved me and given to me through each.

So, the song is "Thank You for Hearing Me" by David Crowder Band -- each of these relationships were either spoken or unspoken prayers that have been answered by God abundantly in my life:




Pics from yesterday:
(me and my uncle; the Salem lobby filled with representatives of wonderful outreach/service ministries; me with the Cox's, my childhood pastors; and the start of the Epic Youth service)










No comments:

Post a Comment