Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Travel Playlist, 11of16

So blessed by my time with friends and family in Decatur yesterday--able to see so many as I rocketed around to finish necessary errands. More errands await today, and a couple more visits.

I'll begin back at Starbucks--not my idea, I promise!--to see our young friend Julie. I will be eager to get the update on Julie's life and to find out how I might continue to encourage and "spur her on" to the greatness that we know is waiting just beyond her horizon. My song for her, as it has been throughout our knowing of her, is Ten Shekel Shirt's "Risk"...

Then I will have lunch with one of my favorite Decatur residents who grew up here before taking on the exciting life of a travel agent, booking trips and taking many of her own.  An accident and an aging mother brought her back to this small town.  Ms Jane is not your stereotypical southern lady, but she is your typical old-school ChoGer.  She actually went to Anderson to attend the Bible College, and attended with some who went on to be national and international leaders within our little corner of Christendom.

I always liked Ms Jane--though we often never agreed :)  She was a risk-taker, and I'll take a risk-taker who doesn't agree with me any day over someone who agrees with everything I say and only plays it safe.  She's not afraid to say what she thinks, when she thinks it, and is quick to make a demonstration about what she thinks is True.  She would have had a lot in common with the Apostle Peter, i think, because this tendency created unique moments in our relationship and in my ministry.

But, I wouldn't change any one of those challenging conversations or disagreements for the world.

Ms Jane calls me "son", and I don't mind.  Though she was independent, full of life and energy when we began serving at 6th Avenue, she has had a several debilitating illnesses that left her much weaker and dependent in the year or so prior to our departure.  This gifted pianist and organist has struggled with her vision as of late, and that's prevented her not only from driving and doing so much for herself, but also from driving and doing so much for others as well.  During her many doctors, hospital, and nursing home stays, we had to help Ms Jane accept help rather than give it--this was a tough lesson for both of us.

One of our constant disagreements was over music--she did not like hymns or any songs to be done too differently than how they were written--though occasionally, she would like a different arrangement so long as it preserved the melodies and harmonies.  I'm not sure that she would like this rendition of "Nothing But the Blood", but it makes me smile and think of saints like Ms Jane--it's sung by Jars of Clay and features The Blind Boys of Alabama...



Today, Ms Jane and I will share a lunch, talk about the state of the Church worldwide, and health--she loves our kids and I'm sure she'll want a full update on each of them.  The visit, even if it takes hours, will be far too short; you never know how many more visits like that you can have--make the most of every opportunity.

And tonight, I will be spending some time with Keli's family.  Keli's parents resigned from their own ministry and moved south to be near us and the kids, and to join in the ministries of the church we were leading.  Their greatest ministry would be as grandparents to our kids during these important years.  I love the way that they have also grown in a deep relationship with my parents as they continue to spend time with each other on the occasion of our family birthdays.  Keli's oldest sister and her brother's family's also moved to Decatur during difficult times in the economy, and though we were once separated from family in our ministry, we were suddenly surrounded by family--and it was great.  I have felt sincere love and inclusion among my inlaw's, and I'm excited to spend some time with them in a family dinner. 

Among our family dinner will be a special member, Alexis--Lex and Grace became best buddies on their first day of Kindergarden and has been like a second daughter ever since.  She's sincerely missed by Grace, who maintains contact with her, but also by the boys who spent so much of their lives with her around, too.

In honor of the family, who are all original Detroit/Motown natives, the final song of the day is from the Temptations...




Pictures from yesterday...








No comments:

Post a Comment