Monday, February 25, 2013

Travel Playlist, 7of16

Soooo Overwhelmed!!!

It began the other night with Nick in Atlanta, continued through an awesome mini-retreat with Langfords and Alexanders, and then I was just floored by all the love experienced yesterday. 

I walked into Danny and Linda Pinter's home and a flood of memories of being with this sweet couple in their home again overtook me--joining them was their daughter Charity who had brought her kids to introduce to me.  Somehow during the waiting, Charity's daughter kept asking "When is your 'boss' gonna get here?"  I came in and Charity says, "I'm not sure how you became my 'boss'"--my response, "It wasn't from lack of trying."  Watching her daughter and boys and seeing the same expressions in their faces was great--and then watching her be all parental--priceless! ;)

Walking into Scott Memorial and seeing so many wonderful people who loved us straight out of college was just a flood of emotions for which I was unprepared!  To have several, like Brad and Ginger, eager to introduce their children to me was simply amazing and humbling.  Too many kind words by so many who have only positive selective memories--I can't believe they couldn't recall all the bad things!

And then, the moment that left me without words -- Kim and Delonte driving to see me just for a few moments as I prepared to share with the Rainbow Community Church.  Kim and Delonte found out that I was going to be in Chattanooga on Friday--they were in California.  They drove straight for the 2.5 days to try to catch me, and when they couldn't make it to church on time, altered their route to join us in Gadsden in the afternoon!  Kim was Grace's weekly babysitter, and we have not seen her since she graduated high school.  To see her make such an effort -- speechless.

And, as if that couldn't be enough, receiving, not one, but two deeply personal and penetrating messages by a very special reader--I couldn't move as I contemplated the depth of blessing at the side of the highway on my way to my parents.  I will be responding...

And now, well, it's...
"Sweet Home Alabama...where the skies are so blue" ~ Leonard Skynyrd

Last night, I drove back to my parents where I can enjoy them for a few days.  I will take a break for an impromptu Chick-fil-A gathering tonight for friends in the area who want to see me.  One note--I won't be eating there because I will be stuffing myself on the curry mom has made for me while I'm here :)!

The drive back into Alabama was really about coming to see family more than anything.  Ministry life often means that you move beyond family--that was true for us for many years, but we often spent extended holidays with both our families.  We were spoiled when both sets of our parents also moved to Alabama and allowed us the luxury of having grandparents nearby.  But now, living half a world a way, it's so good to have the opportunity to see my parents and all the family that I will see in the next week.

one of my favorite pics/memories ever
There's no song of the day--there's an album--the Beatles "1" album that features all their number one hits.  Dad loved the Beatles and I used to admire his albums, including the Abbey Road album that I was eager to duplicate on my first trip to London (Zach was a part of that trip).

I never really appreciated the Beatles as a kid, but I think of Dad every time I hear them now.  Mom is the one who was always listening and singing along to Kenny Rogers on all those trips back and forth to church--I don't know if she ever appreciated the Beatles!  This year, my dad turned 64, so here's the song that was in his head all day during his birthday,


this wasn't one of their #1's ;)

Not much more to say today--time to spend time with my parents.

Pictures from yesterday...
Zach presenting 3W to Scott Memorial Church of God (Pastor Danny is making notes--not sleeping--in the front row!)

Rainbow Community Church keeps their commitment to our family nicely framed outside their sanctuary.  So thankful for their sincere interest and partnership--their youth recently blessed Grace with a birthday package including plates and candles that we used in her party.  They also served me Milo's Sweet Tea for the dinner--I'm so much better now!

Kim & Delonte drove nonstop for a photo with this ugly guy!


No comments:

Post a Comment