Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Travel Playlist, 9of16

Sadly, today I will move from the Birmingham area, saying goodbye to my family, and head north towards Decatur.  That's easier to write than to actually do--it's been good for me and my family to spend time together these past few days--but the days will be few and then we will part again for quite awhile.

Before I completely leave Birmingham, I will get to stop by and share with the New Start Covenant of Grace congregation and their Pastor, Dr. Rev. Derrol Dawkins.  Dr. Dawkins is a pediatrician and a pastor--in fact, he's one of my favorite pastors--full of love for the Lord, for Truth, and for the Kingdom.  He's a passionate soul that fires me up any time I'm in a room with him. Our family was sincerely honored and blessed by their recent commitment to support our family and so I'm making a special visit to just stop in and tell them how grateful we are to have them praying for us.

Then, north a short drive to Decatur, Alabama.  We spent the nearly 9 years previous to our move to Egypt in Decatur.  Though each of our children were born elsewhere, they grew up there--when our kids think of home, they think of Decatur.  This day will be the saddest for them as they think of me seeing the people and places that are still home in their hearts.

As I drive north on I-65, I make a drive that represents a journey that I was not expecting in my life--the spiritual road that took us from associate to lead pastors, and the resulting road that led us to serve internationally are a part of the drive I will make today.  Decatur holds a lot of memories for us--and a lot of special people are attached to each of them.  Again, I'm struck by the Sovereignty of God and the amazing process He has used to shape our lives--I never could have dreamed up this life, but He did--and I'm so humbled, and scared, and excited at what might be ahead.

In honor of New Start, Dr. Dawkins, and this wonderful process, Song-A of the day is from Kirk Franklin's "Hero" album--an interlude called "The Process" that wonderfully leads into the song "Imagine Me"...



And Song-B, well that's in honor of sweetheart who is working hard with our kids in Egypt without me--while I walk into the warm, loving home of her parents, she and they will be on my mind.  I got a message from Keli in the middle of the night that led to a conversation--on the morning run to school, she and the kids had to get out and push the jeep out of a busy intersection where it died.  Fortunately it sprung to life and allowed them to finish the run, but the mechanic had to come pick up the vehicle.  The prognosis--a blown head gasket and some other related problems.  Fortunately, the damage was caught early and can repaired rather quickly and easily--unforunately, it will make for a challening day and a half of finishing the school week while I'm visiting with family in their home town.  So my song for my sweetheart today is Elton John's "That's Why Call It the Blues"...
Don't wish it away
Don't look at it like it's forever.
Between you and me, I can honestly say,
That things can only get better...



1/2 way through this trip and 1/2 way to being back home with Keli :)


Pictures from yesterday...
Jillian is a precious little girl--celebrating her 1st birthday was an added bonus to holding my neice for the first time.  She ate her 1st birthday cake more neatly than any other child i've ever seen--our friend Michele (who's just like family), had to take the icing and smear it on her face like makeup to make the before and after pictures complete!  The picture of Will with Jillian is the only picture of him that wasn't fuzzy--he is one nonstop little boy.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time with my family.
 

1 comment: