Thursday, February 28, 2013

Travel Playlist, 10of16

I grew up in what I affectionately call "Nowhere, Indiana" -- to this day, when someone presses me on the real name of the 'township', they may have heard of it, but just can't place where it is--even if they've lived in one of the nearby towns.

Decatur is small city--bigger than many small towns in Northern Alabama, but not as large as neighboring Huntsville.  It's the kind of place that makes you feel like you are three handshakes from knowing everyone. But even here, so much has changed--they've added new stores and restaurants since our departure, including an Olive Garden and a Mellow Mushroom that opens downtown this week!  Yet, despite the upgrades in dining and shopping, this place has the heartbeat of a small town, which is part of what makes it great.

As an Indiana kid who grew up in a small town, I can appreciate a place like Decatur--and it's the kind of place that resonates with John Cougar Mellencamp's "Small Town"...



Today, I got to eat sushi in this small town :)  And sushi in Decatur means eating with JP. I met JP in the most unlikeliest of circumstances, which leads to one of the most miraculous transformations of God's grace that I have ever witnessed personally.

JP's parents came to me through a friend of theirs who attended the church.  He was a young man who had served his country, married and divorced, had success and troubles, and through it all found himself filled with bitterness and rage.  So much anger inside of him, he could hardly talk to anyone without it spilling out of him.  He asked tough questions and I gave no pat answers--he was measuring me, and it was uncomfortable scrutiny.  After one visit, I came back when I said I would, and he continued to talk and ask questions.  We agreed to meet in different circumstances, and somehow he took the risk of trusting me--lots of phone conversations, and a few more visits led to a visit to the church, more by way of appreciation than sincere interest, I think.  He had an opinion on everything and everyone--he totally freaked out nearly everyone because he was so intense.  We patiently kept working with him and he kept coming back--a little less intense each time.

Then, he started showing some real spiritual interest and introspection--the subject of his questions seemed to change.  One Sunday he said, "what was that?  why were you talking just to me?" -- I wasn't, and JP was now the one strangely uncomfortable, and wondering what was going on inside of himself.  Soon, JP gave his life to Christ--and the transformation from the angry, bitter, intense guy continued -- his whole persona changed: how he talked, how he laughed--the fact that he laughed, even at himself.  He went from demanding to wanting to know where and how to contribute--he was no longer the know-it-all, but the eager listener.  By the time he wanted to be baptized, no one who knew him before could explain what they had witnessed in the course of a few months.

JP's testimony was such a powerful display of what God can do in a life that is open.  JP and I still have great conversations, and I guy who likes to do that over good sushi is a friend for life!  Can't wait till I can take him to a couple of the sushi places in Cairo :)  In honor of JP, and his amazing testimony, I'm listening to Foo Fighters "the Pretender" because it has this theme of being fed-up and standing up to the lies to which you no longer want to be a slave...



Today, I'm also planning a visit with my good friend Ben (and his wife Krista and their newborn daughter).  Ben was a teenager just coming to church with a group of his friends, including Zach, who I think were mostly interested in the girls that had invited them.  While attending a retreat, Ben unloaded on the youth pastor about what he really thought about church and pastors, and it was less than favorable by about 10 lightyears.  Andy, the youth pastor, was brilliant -- he didn't shy away from the critique and Ben was struck by that humility and openness.  He came on a couple of Sundays and observed cautiously--he says that a defining moment for him was watching me, from the platform, put the church on hold to deal with Titus who had come up on stage to tell me something--Ben felt like that was genuine, and he liked it.

Ben went on to give his life fully to Christ, get baptized, and continue to stretch the limits of what people would feel was comfortable honesty.  He also became one of my greatest encouragers -- he would call me regularly to see how I was doing, to share what was up in his world, and always end by asking, "can I pray with you real quick?"

More than this, during an impossibly difficult time in the church, we had many resignations by committee members, many of which were simply taped to my office door.  Ben heard about these from a few others, and independent of anyone else knowing, taped his own letter to my door.  I remember coming into the church and being frustrated by the sight of yet another letter--until I opened and saw his signature, which confused me.  Then, I was floored as I read, "in light of all the resignations that have been received, I want to submit to you my official LETTER OF NON-RESIGNATION" and he went on to list all the ways that he was going to demonstrate greater commitment and service to the mission of the Church and support of it's leaders.  It is easily my favorite letter of all time.

Ben met and married Krista a few years later--Krista is awesome and so perfect for Ben.  I'm so happy for them and amazed at how hard they are working to start their lives off financially responsible.  In honor of Ben and Krista, and also from Foo Fighters, I'll be thinking of "Times Like These" because my times and conversations with Ben are always refreshing; I like to think that we make each other better, and I'm excited to see my friend...



And I will be able to see anyone who stops by my brother and sister inlaw's home tonight from 7-9pm, as Cliff and Cheryl have scheduled a last-minute, informal get-together to allow me the opportunity to see anyone whose interested. A day full of seeing wonderful people :) and lots of errands in our home town!

Pictures from yesterday...





No comments:

Post a Comment