Thursday, February 21, 2013

Travel Playlist, 3of16

Hello again.

Today, I bid Parkersburg, WV farewell after an awesome time among some serious-ministry-minded folks -- and a heartfelt "Thank You" to Pastor Brian and Nancy Harrel for hosting me last night. (pics and further info below)

As I say goodbye, it's time to set my eyes south to North Carolina and the First Church of God in Hickory.  Hickory is one of those congregations that signed on in support of our family though we had never met.  But, Pastor Michael Hone and his family had actually met me years and years ago -- Pastor Michael was the Senior Pastor of East 10th Street Church of God (Indianapolis), where we attended as my father served as a youth and associate pastor briefly when I was in the 7th grade -- I can never forget that church because that's where my nose (and sinuses) took a literal turn for the worst -- but I digress.

Pastor Michael and I have seen each other just once since then, at least, from what I can remember -- he reintroduced himself to me the night of our family's commissioning during the 2011 North American Convention.  It will be nice to have a chance to talk and share, not only with Pastor Michael, but with also with leaders from Ronceverte, WV and Roanoke, VA churches along the way who also support our family.



This route from WV to western North Carolina, (which reminds me of this funny Bill Cosby video above), will require a beautiful drive today and tomorrow, weather permitting, through part of the Appalachians.

While I drive these many miles today, I've chosen to listen to Erwin McManus and the preaching series the Mosaic Church in Los Angeles did from September 11 to October 30, 2011 -- the series began on the 10th Anniversary of 9-11, and begins with Islam for the series entitled, "The Truth Between Us".  I've listened to part, actually most, of the series -- but I'm thankful for the time to consider it all together.  As I've listened to it, I've found myself appreciating the depth of humility and wisdom that is present in not just talking about the differences between Christianity and other religions, but how McManus reveals points of connection and appreciation for the other religions.  For the Church in the midst of increasingly diverse and global contexts, it is important to understand and be able to demonstrate respect and appreciation for differences if we expect the same.

I downloaded the series from iTunes, and i'm not sure if it's still there since it's been over a year--but you can also find it via this podbay link.  If you listen, I'd love to get your own thoughts and how you approach/respond to people of different belief systems.


Pictures from yesterday's travels...

the day began in Bristol Village near Waverly Ohio -- my hosts, the Brinkman's (pictured here) treated me to breakfast in the Village cafe, and gave me a tour of the impressive facility and neighborhood.
 
 Once at Liberty Street Church of God, in Parkersburg, WV -- I spied this familiar picture (note to my kids: better smile good in every picture because you never know who will be hanging it up!)
 

That picture of the kids last Christmas hangs on this wall in the main room of the Treehouse--Liberty Street's children ministry center...


These kids spend part of their Wednesday night praying for Grace, Titus and Zeke--one little girl, duing the Q&A, raised her hand to tell me that she also prays for our kids at her home each night, too.  It was very sweet and they were very interested in learning more about the kids they have been praying for--and Pyramids ;)

I also got to revisit the youth group, though I spoke to the Junior High this time--I had spent some time with Senior High a year and a half ago on our last visit to Parkersburg--the adults dismissed before I could get to them.  I had a good night sharing with Pastor Brian, Nancy and Julie Harrell (their daughter).








1 comment:

  1. Thanks for making me laugh today! I needed the break. I've seen this Cosby clip before, but it is always freshly funny.
    You mentioned Bristol Village - The retirement Village Jim and I live in is owned by the same company (National Church Residences).
    Welcome to the States!
    Carol Lynne Usher

    ReplyDelete