Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Travel Playlist, 1of16

It's still Monday, February 18 at my destination, but it's Tuesday, February 19 here in Cairo, Egypt while I wait for my first of three flights.

Over the next couple weeks, I will be traveling to the USA.  The purpose of the trip is to participate in the annual Heart for Lebanon board of director's meeting, which is one day--but you can't just make a trip like this for one day, so I'll be visiting churches, pastors, and missions committees who either support us or who have an interest in what's happening in Europe and the Middle East.  And, I'll take some time for some very special friends and family, too.

Like a lot of people, I like to listen to music on road trips and traveling.  I will read and write along the way, too, as well as find moments of distractions in the in-flight movies -- but I will have a lot of tunes going through my head.  So, I thought those songs that I'm sure will rush through my mind and memories could be the theme of a series of posts to chronicle the journey.  If you find this interesting, great--if not, allow me the illusion of thinking I have an interesting life and taste in music ;)

I'll also post pics from the previous day's meetings and travels.

Today's featured song in mind and heart is "Starlight" by Muse.

When we left the USA on January 6, 2012, this was the song in my head and heart as our family and friends gathered at the airport to spend their last few moments with us as we boarded the plane for the first leg of this incredible, life-altering journey.  As I return, I will see many of the same along the way--but now the reason for this song is for my beloved and children whom I will leave behind.

This will be a difficult trip for me as I contemplate leaving my family for this long while they continue with school and weekly routines in my absence.  I've had to do this countless times before -- but the distance and duration of this trip is much greater than previous trips.  As much traveling as we do, as well as the state of the world and times in which we live, we can never take for granted those moments of goodbye and the anticipation of returns.  My prayer is not always just about safety, but that also that the time away is not just "my will" but in keeping with God's will to do what needs to be done and that those I leave behind will not face unnecessary difficulty because I left.

And, that's why I'll be thinking about these lyrics, which (to me) carry a sense of purpose mixed with uncertainty; it's one of my favorite songs...


No comments:

Post a Comment