Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Road Trip Playlist 2014 #1

Over a year ago, I had to return to the States for a Heart for Lebanon Board of Directors meeting--going back to the US from Cairo is not cheap nor easy, and to make the most of the journey, I added time to see as many of our support churches as I could.  In two weeks, I think I logged over 2000 miles from the Midwest into the Southeast and back again.

As I begin our family's first home assignment, I get a head start, seeing support churches in California and Arizona (and a little preview trip to Oregon) before seeing my wife in Oklahoma City for the annual North American Convention (NAC) of the Church of God (ChoG); that will be 18 days without family, and a lot of miles on the road and in the air.  It will be several more days before I see my kids again.  That's tough to take because I love my family and love having them near--I worry about them and wonder what they're doing constantly.

In 2013, to help keep a record of my journey, as well as to give my mind a break from worrying about my family, I posted a daily playlist post, highlighting a song that related to something about my journey.  Okay, sometimes it doesn't relate to the road trip at all--and shame on me, not all the songs are from "Christian" artists, nor do all contain "Christian" lyrics or themes--so, it's appropriate to add this disclaimer...
Disclaimer: 
The views, opinions, antics, and behavior of <insert artist name here>
or those same represented within their song <insert song title here>
or of their record label, affiliates, or any other fan base
are NOT necessarily the views, opinions, antics or behavior of the Oldham Family,
Three Worlds, Church of God Ministries, Church of God doctrine,
or any other related Christian or organization;
it's merely a song, on a blog post, 
so read the rest of the post to find out what strange meaning Ken is drawing from it. :)

and now..., without any further delay, the 2014 Playlist...

One of my favorite songs of the past year has been "Counting Stars" by One Republic -- it begins with this line, "Lately I've been losing sleep..."  This is appropriate for today's marathon journey which will be nearly 30 hours or more from the time I leave home and arrive ready to crash onto a hotel bed.

But one reason I'm drawn to this song is in the line, "we'll be counting stars."  In Revelation 1, John's vision of the Risen Christ is One who holds seven stars in his hand, among seven lamp stands; in verse 20, it is revealed that these seven stars are the angels or messengers of the seven churches.  As a pastor, I have always found a bit of comfort in the possibility that the One who calls us also holds us in His hand as He ministers His Word through us.  

As we have ministered for nearly 20 years, one of the things God has been doing through us from the beginning is inspiring and equipping young ministers.  We're not world class evangelists or leaders, but God has called many to His Kingdom service through us.  That's part of the call that was issued to us to come work in this region, that we would help raise up more young pastors and leaders in this part of the world.  We're not out here making "dollars," but I like to think--we pray--that we'll be "counting stars" held in the hands of the Risen Christ who will be great evangelists and leaders for the Kingdom.

That may sound pretty cheesy--probably has some bad theology in there too--but that thought inspires me when I hear this song.  This song is full of layered personal meaning for me; like I said, one of my favorites from the last year.  If you don't like my personal inspiration--what do you take away from it?


Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, support, and interest in what we're doing.  Check back each day to see the next song in this Playlist.  Please pray for all of us--for traveling mercy, and for wisdom in sharing with each of you we meet along the way...and, don't forget to...
#PrayForEgypt
#PrayForLebanon

No comments:

Post a Comment