Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Why OKC?

Personal thoughts heading into a pivotal convention for the Church of God (Reformation Movement) (Anderson, Indiana)

The History (as I know it, surely to be criticized by ChoG Historians)
Annually, the ChoG "tribe" of the evangelical Christian community would gather for what was once known as "international campmeeting", & more recently as the North American Convention, or NAC. Though the movement began in other parts of the country (key meetings & moments taking place in West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, etc), the annual meeting found a home when the printing press (Gospel Trumpet Company) and Bible College were established in Anderson, Indiana.  This young "reformation movement," (which sought to unify the various denominations under a Kingdom banner of "Church of God," united in faith and purified as the expectant Bride of Christ by the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit), had the notion that the return of Christ was soon.  So, early, no plans for establishing buildings and organization were in place--only the urgent appeal to be saved, be holy, and be united--even preaching a message to "come out" from the various denominations whose platforms hosted their appeal.  Creative, current and sacrificial efforts were employed to draw the masses to hear these appeals--an example is the riverboat known as "the Floating Bethel" that used a contemporary (at the time) Gospel choir to call along the banks of the Ohio River the opportunities to hear this urgent message.  Missionaries went out using literature from the printing press to spread the message of salvation, holiness, & unity--pictures of small wagons that doubled as homes (early RV's) and book-mobiles have been seen in England and other countries.

As time wore on, the immediate return of Christ gave way to a desire to provide regular worship communities among those who were "called out" and had "seen the Church".  The ChoG enjoyed the golden age of Christianity in the USA during the early part of the 20th century, continuing to grow, establish churches and send out missionaries.  And, an effort to use new methods continued; for example, the establishment of the Christian Brotherhood Hour, a weekly radio program, and it's original speaker, Dale Oldham, are credited with the birth of the modern radio program (as I have heard) by the radio broadcaster's hall of fame.

Throughout the years, the annual Campmeeting continued to grow, drawing thousands to hear the "great pastors" of the movement.  The annual pilgrimage to the community of Anderson, Indiana was often likened to the Muslims making their way to Mecca.  The ChoG even ventured into a feat of engineering marvel--creating (at the time) the largest non-internally supported domed auditorium in the world, Warner Auditorium--actually a world record at one time.  My father was a boy at the time of this undertaking and our family has pictures of the large mound of dirt that was carefully smoothed, then layered with coats of concrete, then lifted by dozens of jacks around the enormous dome as brick support walls were slowly, carefully constructed around it's base.

This was the pinnacle of the golden age of the ChoG: printing, broadcasting, engineering, educating in several institutions, established in 50 states, establishing itself worldwide, etc.  I grew up in this era and thought the ChoG was huge--and to some degree, it was.  My parents became pastors, continuing in the footsteps of my grandparents--each serving congregations with heritage and hope--as well as serving internationally.

I am the product of several generations of pastors, discipled through an amazing Christian Education program at one of the leading Midwestern congregations, and mentored by some of the great, modern leaders in the movement.  I, along with my wife, graduated from Anderson University and have served three ChoG congregations and their state ministries with (dare I say) distinction.  We love the ChoG, it's people, it's heritage, it's message and it's potential.  We are committed to serve the Kingdom through the ChoG so long as it sticks to these ideals--and have jumped off the high dive into the Middle East with our family to do so at a greater level of Kingdom service than we ever imagined.

But...

Somewhere, probably at multiple times and around multiple decisions, the ChoG Reformation Movement ceased being a movement and became a reminiscent monument.  It was less about the message and more about the meeting; urgency gave way to complacency; sacrificing gave way to surviving; spreading the message became about attracting rather than going; cutting edge creativity worried about the cost or keeping the congregants happy; and what began in opposition to denomination became one itself.

Okay, that's moved from history to my perspective and commentary--but hey, it's my blog and you don't have to read any further if you don't want to do so ;)

So What's Happening Now...
Recently, preparing for a transition from General Director Ron Duncan to someone new, the ChoG Ministries office and council sought a consultation on the movement.  It wasn't good.  The direction of the movement was down: in attendance, in relevance, in assets/finances, in unity, even in integrity.  The only positive factor was an unprecedented level of desire to get back up.  

Now, before I go on, let me just say I have met, conversed with, and even collaborated (through vision conferences) with Ron Duncan on occasions during his tenure.  I know some of my peers didn't like his leadership, but to be fair, I think he inherited a behemoth of an organization that was all over the place and I believe that he, at the very least, ordered the mess.  I have nothing but respect for those like him who led at a difficult time.

Now, back to the matter at hand, the ChoG appointed/ratified in the last year a new general director, Pastor Jim Lyon.  He had previously led the Madison Park (formerly the North Anderson) ChoG, and has been the "voice of the ChoG" through the weekly, continuing broadcast of CBH (which got rebranded as Christians Broadcasting Hope).  His leadership in the last year has sparked debate, potentially even division, and we're all headed to OKC to work through this.  So, let me write some more about Jim, the move to OKC, and the future.


Jim Lyon, General Director
Full Disclosure: we know Jim pretty well.  I met him on my and his first night in Anderson; he extended an open door policy for me as a ministry student that I took advantage of, seeking his council, experience and friendship.  During those college years, Jim baptized me at my request in a Wednesday night Bible Study at North Anderson.  He also officiated our wedding 20 years ago.  When we were appointed by ChoG to join the Europe &. Middle East ministries, he committed support from Madison Park to get us started.  When our fund-raising was slow among the east where all our relationships and experience had been, he called me to find out who I knew out west, and then personally called and emailed a dozen pastors urging them to meet with me to hear the vision--several of these confessed that they would not have talked to me otherwise--several of the group are among our supporters today.

So, we know Jim, like Jim, are indebted to Jim, and respect him highly.

But...
People have been asking if he is a strong enough leader or the right leader for this task and moment in time.  I do not know; I am not sure that he has the leadership capacity to pull off this enormous, needed change in the movement.  That said, I don't know anyone else that really does either.  But, I believe in a God who empowers the one willing to face the giant (task). We can be like Saul that criticizes the tools or strategy, or even like David's brother who criticizes the motives, but unless you were willing to put you and your family's ministry on the line and step up in this role, I think you need to pray up instead of put down.  Seriously.  

Rather than criticize him, maybe we could do a better job of encouraging him and asking the Holy Spirit to increase his wisdom and bring favor through this difficult process.


The Move to OKC
Full Disclosure: I love Anderson (I'm not a fan of OK); I was born in Anderson, lived and grew up nearby, went to school there, and through all my years of moving around, coming back each summer was a homecoming.

I loved the "Campmeeting experience", but honestly, what I'll miss most about being in Anderson (what my kids lament) is getting our traditional doughnut at the same counter where I used to sit with my grandfather as a young boy.  Campmeeting had become an event where the minors were more important than the major--General Assembly meetings were a joke and poorly attended at best, giving way to conferences or extended lunch conversations with old friends.  

There are a lot of people upset, even irate, at the cost of the convention.  They think/say that the convention was "free" in Anderson.  Really? Nothing is free--ever--it costs someone, somewhere.  There are only free-loaders.  Some of the pastors complaining about cost will spend more on going to another church growth or leadership conference; or, they have no problem telling their youth group to raise the money for their conventions.  For decades, ChoG Ministries have been swallowing this cost--cost that could have supported missions, disaster relief, pastor retirement, college scholarships, etc.

I don't know if the right process was followed, nor if the right people were consulted.  A lot of complaints have been written/posted about under what authority were so many drastic changes made (change of venue, change of format, change of tradition, change from no children or youth programs, ...).  But this is an instance of missing the forest for the trees--this is NOT a typical, normal, traditional NAC.  This is an intervention--a family meeting at a crisis moment.  In my opinion (again, it's my blog), it's time to strip away all the extra distractions, all the comforts of our routines, and get the largest possible General Assembly to meet in a neutral location.  I'm sure attendance will be down at this NAC, but the GA meeting will be the largest in years--AND that's the point, the focal point of the whole meeting.

(I was recently asked, then why change the logos and all the other things going into this.  I admit, I don't like the new logo--I think it's too busy and I like simple--but what I like is that it puts the cross back central in the representation of who we are.  For all the complaining of the "lost meaning" of the old 3-part flame logo, there is no realization that in the drive to be the "holiness and unity" church, we lost the 1st, primary part of that flame: salvation. Without salvation, we don't have holiness and unity.  We should never forget that the Pharisees attempted to bring unity to God's people by emphasizing righteousness.  We must get grace & gospel back front and center in this movement.  I live in a part of the world where religious, legal devotion is at it's peak--but there is no grace--and that part of the world is dark, lifeless, petty, and back-stabbing.  I don't like the logo-but I want the cross front and center because without Grace, the rest is impossible.)


The Future...
I have high hopes for the future.  I don't want to labor away in a struggling enterprise, and I don't think anyone in the ChoG "tribe" wants to offer anything less than the best possible service for the Kingdom.  I want to live for my Savior out on the ragged edge of costly obedience to vision and calls bigger than myself; I want to take on the giants and cross the seas; I want to see history changed and eternities redeemed.

None of this happens without risk, and risk is what will keep some from taking the leap.  I wish I could go into this convention thinking it's gonna be a "kum ba ya" moment; but experience tells me some will walk away.  That doesn't make one group right and the other wrong.  It's just the way it is.  I'll be listening to the voice of the Spirit of God, the one that invites me into greater levels of risk, obedience, and sacrifice--the invitation that leads me to become a better representation of Jesus--within ChoG, or somewhere else...

"Come, Lord Jesus!
The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen."
(Revelation 22:20b, 21)


1 comment: