Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Road Trip Playlist 2014 #6

Review of June 10...
I left Fresno where temperatures in that desert oasis were over 105* - I wake up in LA this morning, walking out in shorts & a t-shirt, to 57* and only an expected high of 68* under cloudy skies! Totally unexpected!

(The drive by the way, with the Sierra Nevada'a on the left, approaching then going over the Coastal Range at the "Grapevine", was simply beautiful.)

Three Worlds & then some in the hotel lobby this morning--I walked into a couple speaking French; French citizens on holiday here.  I got my second cup of coffee from a German man visiting here with his family on a west coast & Grand Canyon adventure; he had been to Egypt twice so we had a good little conversation.  We were all surrounded by some Hindu statues representing the faith of the hotel owners. And two Hispanic workers came in as the French couple left, one of whom spoke limited English.  It's an increasingly "glocal" world--are you ready to engage the nations today wherever you are?

Last night, I got to meet Pastor Brent's family and was able to have dinner with he and his wife.  Two great ChoGgers who moved from the predictable confines of the Midwest to lead a little church in the heart of Los Angeles.  Such great hearts for the Kingdom and for people--I thoroughly loved hearing about their church, ministry, & journey--this is a church and family who would find great connection to our former ministry at 6th Avenue in Decatur, Alabama.

Today, I will get to tour around with them a bit, taking in the sights like the world famous Randy's Doughnuts (think "Iron Man")--can't wait--but first, I need some warmer clothes!  Then, tonight it will be my sincere honor to share about the ministry of 3W/Middle East - as well as our gratitude - with the Culver City Church of God.

Now for the songs of the day...

Disclaimer: 
The views, opinions, antics, and behavior of <insert artist name here>
or those same represented within their song <insert song title here>
or of their record label, affiliates, or any other fan base
are NOT necessarily the views, opinions, antics or behavior of the Oldham Family,
Three Worlds, Church of God Ministries, Church of God doctrine,
or any other related Christian or organization;
it's merely a song, on a blog post, 
so read the rest of the post to find out what strange meaning Ken is drawing from it. :)

and now..., continuing with the 2014 Playlist...

Today's Playlist is a Two for one, because I've got two things going on in my mind/heart today.  First of all, Keli and the kids are traveling and en route to the USA for the first time in 2.5 years!  I pray not only for their safety but also for their peace of mind in the reverse culture shock that they may experience with family and in their hometown.  For them, the song "Safe and Sound" by the band Capital Cities is playing in my heart...


After yesterdays serious tone, and my concern for the family traveling, I need some upbeat and fun tune to lighten the moos.  This song fits the bill as it is fun and off the wall.  I don't know anything about these guys or this crazy tune, but it has a line "I wake up to the city of Angels..." and that was enough for me to introduce you to Fitz and The Tantrums and "The Walker"...



I like the themes of "marching to the beat of my own drum", which is prevalent within this song.  Conformity is a trap that robs us of the unique design and gifts of the Father in our lives.  How are you walking uniquely with the Lord, counter culturally today??

No comments:

Post a Comment