Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Road Trip Playlist 2014 #5

Review of June 9...
Well there's not much to report on Monday, June 9 because I took the time to rest.  My body was shutting down on Sunday night June 8 and I had one of the most complete nights of rest that I can remember.  I then went on to attempt to get my iPhone working in the US, but my "unlocked" phone has some sort of block on it from the Egyptian service provider, an issue I cannot resolve until I get back to Egypt--so, I had to get a disposable phone.  I miss the ability for GPS right now while I'm driving around--so, this is a throwback road trip as I try to get my directions and follow a piece of paper from place to place.  Just glad to have a phone as I begin the longer legs of this road trip.  Speaking of which, let's get back to the playlist...

Disclaimer: 
The views, opinions, antics, and behavior of <insert artist name here>
or those same represented within their song <insert song title here>
or of their record label, affiliates, or any other fan base
are NOT necessarily the views, opinions, antics or behavior of the Oldham Family,
Three Worlds, Church of God Ministries, Church of God doctrine,
or any other related Christian or organization;
it's merely a song, on a blog post, 
so read the rest of the post to find out what strange meaning Ken is drawing from it. :)

and now..., continuing with the 2014 Playlist...

Today, I'm heading south from Fresno to Los Angeles.  I've never traveled this route, nor visited the Culver City Church of God before, so this is all brand new.

On the way I made a detour to see an important friend, a mentor who was instrumental in shaping a lot of my life.  I haven't seen him in years and years, and in that time, he has experienced some personal lows and personal tragedy leading to a loss of favor and respect in the ministry community.  

I don't know what happened, how, or what steps were taken to reconcile.  All I know is that he and his wife were divorced--a pain that I feel deeply because they are both mentors and were like spiritual parents to me, heavily investing time, patience, teaching, and resources into our lives and development.  I cannot tell my story without mentioning their names, yet mentioning their names now leads to more questions--questions for which I do not have answers.

I did not make the detour this morning to get those answers.  He nor she owe me anything.  I owe them everything and I will defend each for as long as I live because I guarantee I would not be who I am, or where I am without their influence and sacrifice for me.  I went to tell him, "thank you."  

It was one of the most emotional moments of my life, sharing with him what belief and training in a scrawny, shy, uncertain, and awkward little kid has done and is doing in the lives of those whom we have invested and loved and served.  In turn, he shared about the amazing ministry he is doing now and the challenges of being home to love and serve his parents who are in the last chapters of their lives.  It was time well spent for both of us.

The superstar band Coldplay's frontman Chris Martin has had a very public fallout with his wife, actress Gwyneth Paltrow.  From that pain and loss, the band encouraged some soul searching and to use that emotion and experience in creating the art of their latest album "Ghost Stories"--each track reveals the deep sense of sadness and loss experienced by Chris Martin, and the more you listen the more you think this is either the most romantic overture, or the saddest thing you've ever heard.  The hit single "Magic" recounts the loss but also the underlying hope that even what was sawn in two could come back together.


Sometimes, there's no going back from the consequences of our actions; but I do believe in Grace and a God who not only provided that at great cost to Himself, but also a God who powerfully, wonderfully restores.  

No comments:

Post a Comment