Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Road Trip Playlist 2014 #17

Review of June 21...
The morning began with a conversation with Keli; she and the kids were scheduled to leave yesterday to go see her grandmother in Tennessee.  Her health and mind had been failing lately, but the doctor had called early in the morning hours to say that her fever was rosin and her breathing slowing.  Keli's dad, who as a great son had been traveling to be near her every 10 days, left early to be by her side.  Keli I needed to talk about options as we are scheduled to be in several places, and yet needing to come back to one place.

Afterwards, I spent some time thinking and praying in the Kerr's home, from the perch of the spectacular view over the Columbia River valley and mountains in the distance.  Not a more peaceful, beautiful view from which to contemplate life and the everlasting.

Pastor Randy and I set out for a Starbucks (gotta love the northwest) and our hike at Beacon Rock in the Columbia River valley gorge.  Here's some pics of this beautiful experience:




Keli and I talked again and her granny was doing better; stable. Thank you for the prayers for their family; please continue to pray for peace and comfort as the waiting continues.

This morning I prepare to preach at Sunset Park and share with them about the ministries in which they have been investing.  Sunday afternoon, I will move toward neighboring Rainier where I will have the opportunity to share with the congregation led by Pastor Steve & Rhonda Stecker.  I'm looking forward to that visit with a wonderful couple, and looking forward to be encouraged by Steve's faith that has been challenged and growing as he battles recovery from a brain tumor.  I wish I could say that I will encourage him, but I'm sure it will be he other way around!

Meanwhile, across the country, Keli and the kids go to share at Rainbow City Community Church outside of Gadsden, Alabama.  This congregation, small in number, has been huge in love and financial support for us, easpecially in the last year.  We are thankful for Pastor Eill Hughes and RCCC doing so much.  After  Keli shares, it's off to the airport so she can fly over to OKC to be ready for the start of the national convention. (I'll leave Portland Monday morning).

So, it's Sunday, and I continue the road trip playlist with another of our favorite worship songs...

Disclaimer: 
The views, opinions, antics, and behavior of <insert artist name here>
or those same represented within their song <insert song title here>
or of their record label, affiliates, or any other fan base
are NOT necessarily the views, opinions, antics or behavior of the Oldham Family,
Three Worlds, Church of God Ministries, Church of God doctrine,
or any other related Christian or organization;
it's merely a song, on a blog post, 
so read the rest of the post to find out what strange meaning Ken is drawing from it. :)

and now..., continuing with the 2014 Playlist...

This one has been a favorite for the last couple years.  "Mighty to Save" has been led/sung by many different groups and is a part of many different church worship services around the world; for me, it hooks me right from the opening phrase...


"Everyone needs compassion, a love that's never failing, let mercy fall on me...the Hope of Nations" - I believe that.  I believe that everyone needs compassion and I've not seen the lasting effect of compassion like that offered through Jesus Christ.  I admit that many, even in the name of Jesus, often fail at offering it as purely and sincerely as we should--but when we get it right, it is not only life-changing (for the recipient and the giver), but it's also world changing, and history changing.  We do what we do because we have experienced such mercy--and we try to offer mercy as the vehicle of this life-giving hope--and we further seek to teach, equip, and inspire mercy in those we are privileged to lead and serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment